The Common Core Companion: The Standards Decoded, Grades 9-12: What They Say, What They Mean, How To Teach Them (Corwin Literacy)
“I love what Jim Burke has done to make the Standards less threatening and more useful for teachers. In particular, the indicators for what students and teachers should be doing, given the Standard, are extremely helpful; as are such a clear glossary and illuminating examples. All in all, The Common Core Companion is bound to be enormously useful and thus dog-eared!”
- Grant Wiggins, President, Authentic Education, Hopewell, NJ
That version of the 9-12 standards you wish you had
If you’re a high school teacher, no need to despair. Jim Burke has created a Common Core Companion for you, too. This time positioning the grades 9-10 standards alongside 11-12, it’s every bit the roadmap to what each standard says, what each standard means, and how to put that standard into practice across subjects. Jim clearly lays out:
- Key distinctions across grade levels
- Different content-area versions of each standard
- Explanations of each standard, with student prompts
- Content to cover, lesson ideas, and instructional techniques
- Glossary and adaptations for ELL students
A longtime English teacher, Jim Burke is the author of more than 20 books and senior consultant for the Holt McDougal Literature program. Jim has received several awards, including the 2000 NCTE Exemplary English Leadership Award. In 2009, he created the English Companion Ning—the largest online community of English teachers in the world. More recently, Jim has served on the AP English Course and Exam Review Commission and the PARCC Consortium.
- Export Citation(BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan)
- Download multimedia files (txt, html, PDF)
- 1452276587.pdf (text only)
- 1452276587.zip (currently not available)
You can search on LeatherBound to download or purchase an ebook.